PROJECTS

There is always a project in the works. Check back often to see what is the latest project completed!

See a need…

Fill a need.

To quote an old animated robotics film from ‘Big Weld’ The best projects are those that fill a need you have in life or others.
This section is dedicated to all the little projects I take on to either make myself, the lab or others lives better!

The moment of Combustion

What does it look like the moment a fuel starts combustion? I was curious of this as well, so set…

Read More..

1892 H.K. Porter Bolt cutter restoration.

1892 H.K. Porter Bolt cutters, they where invented by H.K Porter in 1888 for blacksmiths to cut off stock quickly.…

Read More..

1890’s Torsion balance

This very unique style of balance scale was found in very bad shape as parts, I set out to bring…

Read More..

1947 General Electric Vortalex fan-Full restoration

I could not pass up a chance to get one of these art deco fans from the 40’s This one…

Read More..

1950’s Ohmer Taxi Fare Meter

Such a rare find this was! An old 1950’s Taxi meter made by Ohmer. This one was serviced by the…

Read More..

Mueller Centurion Fire Hydrant restoration.

Recently picked up one of those items we have all seen but few of us own! A Fire Hydrant! An…

Read More..

DIY DRO Display

A DIY Digital readout accurate to 5 microns! This will be a new project for the 200 year old scale…

Read More..

DIY Robot Controller Project

This page cornicles the massive project I took on, of bringing an old Adept SCARA robot back to life by…

Read More..

How a Gas pump nozzle works

Every want to know how a gas pump nozzle works? how it knows when to shut off? In the process…

Read More..

Custom Plasma cut Knife

A Friend of the lab wanted a custom Knife for his collection, so I setout to design and make my…

Read More..

Teaching a robot to weld

The goal of this project is to try and teach the Fanuc robot arm how to weld. Many already know…

Read More..

FANUC Robot RS232 communication

First off, this robot project started here, make sure you get caught up first! https://www.djdlabs.com/fanuc-robot-arm/ This thread chronicles the process…

Read More..

Powhatan Type 250 Fire Hose Nozzle

Picked this up for the lab, was a fun restoration. After a clean and blasting, it looks like this, now…

Read More..

FANUC Robot arm

Saved this Fanuc LR Mate 200iC/5H 5 Axis arm, and R-30iA controller from the scrap pile! This robot arm has…

Read More..

Robot Lamp Project

From the literal dumpster to art piece this is the progression of taking an old force gripper exhibit that was…

Read More..

Pontiac 326 Engine build.

This page will be the Engine build for the 51 Truck I am building. More on that project here: https://www.djdlabs.com/1951-chevy-truck/…

Read More..

CNC Plasma project

June 6th 2015 this all started with a fantastic find. I got a lead on a forgotten old CNC machine…

Read More..

Onan 4.0 CCK Generator Restoration

This project started with a friend of mine offering me an old generator he got many years prior and never…

Read More..

Marvel Schebler VD-58 Carburetor rebuild.

As part of a new multi part project for the lab, ( that will be a slight secret for now…

Read More..

High Vac Power Passthrough

The vacuum chamber has been missing a good way to get power into it. I took an old broken high…

Read More..

DIY DMX Board

This entire project started with and old fried Peavey Pc 1600 MIDI board. I got it for free for the…

Read More..

CNC Plasma Sign

Set out to make the largest sign I have ever attempted with my DIY CNC Plasma machine.Was a gift for…

Read More..

Exploded view of Gas meter

Setup to come up with a way to display the internals of the gas meter, I used some colored pencils,…

Read More..

Parking meter stand

Designed and cut a ‘display stand’ outline for the parking meter. Turned out pretty cool I think!

Read More..

2 Watt Solid state Nd:YAG laser

The lab had this donated, took a good while to reverse engineer how it worked and to build an interface…

Read More..

Stupid Bright

What happens when you build your own 3,000 watt light bulb? This was a custom high power tungsten filament in…

Read More..

Mini Tesla coil

Built a mini tesla coil for our High voltage demo in the science demo theater. It can light up a…

Read More..

Black & Decker drill refurbish.

Refurbished a 1950’s Gen 1 Black & Decker Drill.

Read More..

Ratrod Tractor

Here is my 1963 Jacobsen Chief tractor, modified and lowered. Has a full harley exhaust, and with new pully setup…

Read More..

What is a Fusor?

Here is a walkthrough of the start of my Fusor project.

Read More..

Sears Paint Gun

Refurbishment of an old 60’s era Paint gun.

Read More..

Inside a Hard drive

Stuck a hard drive in my Axiomat scope ( more on that soon ) And here are the closeup results…

Read More..

Hard Drive project

I took apart 40 hard drives, to make a cool wall art project, more on that soon. But for now,…

Read More..

DeWALT Saw restoration.

Free donation to the lab, it was an old saw in sad shape, spent a ton of time fully dismantling…

Read More..

Huge Laser Power supply.

This is the largest regulated DC power supply I have ever seen, one hell of an amazing donation to the…

Read More..

Vintage Drill press restoration.

old 1950’s Craftsman Mohawk drill press w2as donated to the lab, what a project it was getting all the rusty…

Read More..

Zeiss Axiomat

Take a look inside one of the best optical microscopes ever built, including today! This was before electronic correction. So…

Read More..

Big Nut!

Always wanted a Battlebots trophy style giant hex nut, so set out to try and make my own, here is…

Read More..

Plasma cut lamp

I designed and plasma cut this neat fan light diffuser, it was for someone special recovering from surgery.

Read More..

Oxygen tank shelf

What do you do with a LO2 tank that was cut in half? Design and plasma cut some shelves for…

Read More..

Inside a Liquid Oxygen tank

Picked up a few Liquid oxygen tanks for lab projects.

Read More..

DJD Grills

Made some custom DJD Labs speaker covers.

Read More..

Custom DMX Light show

Built my own interface, and custom software to detect music and change DMX commands for a custom light show.

Read More..

Big Button wall talk

I was asked to do a presentation on my giant 200 button wall. Here is that talk. I will place…

Read More..

CNC Plasma Table Project

Needed a table for my DIY CNC plasma, so used the CNC plasma to cut out parts needed to make…

Read More..

Westinghouse Watt meter

Read More..

40 Watt Nd:YAG Laser project

I had a massive 300+ lbs YAG laser donated to the lab, was used in high power laser shows. I…

Read More..

DIY COVID Mask Project

Wanted to make my own unique mask so set out and printed and painted my own mask similar to that…

Read More..

Google game AI playing

Set out to make the computer play the game for me! Here is the code, Opt(‘MouseCoordMode’, 2) Opt(‘PixelCoordMode’, 2) While…

Read More..

Welder upgrade.

So … I would never have bought a ‘Hazard’ Freight welder, but a few things came together to make me…

Read More..

Inside a Hybrid Synergy Drive

Many videos on this amazing device in the works!

Read More..

Laser Pumpkin carving

Well more like laser assisted pattern making! Used a smart laser to project beam patterns onto the pumpkins to be…

Read More..

3D printer into a Drawing robot!

Hacked an old 3D printer, used the drives, and built a new CNC front end for drawing!

Read More..

The Dancing truck

My 2000 Chevy S10 that had so many projects done to it over the years, this card will cover the…

Read More..

Atomic clock

https://youtu.be/UanUgCoTPGY The lab now has an atomic clock! It took some work to get it working again.

Read More..

Big servo clock Project

This page will cover the massive project that was the big servo art clock in the cafe lobby at the…

Read More..

Drawing with light

DIY UV LED built into a pen, and placed into my modified 3D printer I use as a drawing robot.

Read More..

Robotic paper cutter

Started a new project on the old vinyl cutter, I picked up a sticky board and placed paper instead of…

Read More..

Air Ride Chassis simulator

Made this many years back ( The myspace days ) It was incredibly popular. It was made to the exact…

Read More..

M101 howitzer round fuse

I needed a fuse for my 105mm round, they are hard to come by, so 3D printed my own!

Read More..

Sensor Control Box

Designed, laser cut and build up a control box for some proximity sensors used for an interactive fountain for a…

Read More..

Project Thumper

The Geek Group made an amazing high energy physics demo that harness the power of a lightning bolt to explode…

Read More..

Prius Synergy Drive Full Tear down

https://youtu.be/Eg8c2_eS-do In this Video we tear into a 2nd Gen Prius Transmission part by part and do our best to…

Read More..