It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:59 am

All times are UTC

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: Fun with an online Scammer...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:32 am 
Site Admin

So I found a Deal to good to be true on Auto Trader so here is what followed,

Link to Listing,

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... dard=false

ORIGINAL MESSAGE

Quote:
Hi,

My 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 is still available for sale.There is no previous collision damage to this vehicle.This is a garage kept vehicle.The engine is mechanically sound and can be driven anywhere with confidence.

The exterior is extra clean. Extra clean interior (see pictures). Absolutely no rips, odors or abuse, I don't smoke.

It has 56,600 miles with a 4.8L V8 engine.

I am looking to obtain $10,700.00

The reason I am selling this amazing vehicle , I have enrolled into Chevron offer jobs on a oil rig and I have a contract as a drilling engineer for 2 years in Houston,TX and I plan to buy something else with the money I will earn here.I am on a oil rig for the next 3 Months.

I can provide VIN #. Also, I can send you the pictures and more details too. Just let me know if you are still interested.

Thank you very much for your interest,

Patrick Oleary

So this seemed Fishy,

So I sent this response,

Quote:
Patrick,

Thank you for the quick response.

I have a few quick questions if you do not mind.

1. Do you know the brand of the lift kit that is installed on your truck?

2. I notticed in the pictures you posted the scenery is not from around this area. Would you happen to have any pictures of the truck that are more current?

Thank you again for you time.

Best regards,
Doug

I then got this response,

Quote:
Hi again,

Here is the VIN#: 3GCEK14V86G137042 (just in case you wish to run a Carfax).The title is clear in hand with my name on it, no liens.
The vehicle is located and registered in DECATUR, GA and I suggest we should use eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection, so we can both be protected and insured.I am on the Oil Rig right now, I am not home.
If we manage to complete this transaction within 7 days I could arrange to have it shipped at your door on my expense otherwise you have to pay 50 cents per mile.
If you are interested in a quick sale and you wish to receive the vehicle in front of your door without paying anything for that except vehicle's price please forward me the following information :

-Full name
-Shipping address
-Your phone number
Here are more pictures : http://www.use.com/d2b5f6c7f40913ded6a6
Here is my cell number (832) 699-0075 , If you are involved in a loan with your bank Just tell me.

Thank you very much for your interest
Patrick Oleary

So at this point I knew it was a scam and sent the following.

Quote:
Patrick,

I ran your phone number through the system and sure enough reported on many scams. I should have known.

In the future here are a few tips to help you trick people better.

First Make sure 100% that the VIN you list is very close if not exact to the one you list. ( Run a carfax if you must, I know it costs money)

Second, make sure the pictures you post are of a vehicle taken in the same native state of where you say it is for sale.

Third, do some research into what you say is your reason for selling. “Chevron offer jobs” would be better as “Chevron Job Offers” and still they have not hired new oil rig engineers in some time now.

Fourth, you cannot sell a vehicle while you are out of state, you have to be present to notarize the title.

And in closing make sure you clean up your tracks on the internet! This is major for everyone has access to Google anymore.

Example look below,

-------------------------------------------------------

My 2005 Ford Excursion is still available for sale.There is no previous collision damage to this vehicle.This is a garage kept vehicle.The engine is mechanically sound and can be driven anywhere with confidence.

The exterior of this vehicle is extra clean. Extra clean interior (see pictures). Absolutely no rips, odors or abuse, I don't smoke.

It has 44,527 miles with a 6.0L V8 engine.

I am looking to obtain $11,900.00

The reason I am selling this amazing vehicle , I have enrolled into Chevron offer jobs on a oil rig and I have a contract as a drilling engineer for 2 years in Houston,TX and I plan to buy something else with the money I will earn here.I am on a oil rig for the next 3 weeks.

I can provide VIN #. Also, I can send you the pictures and more details too. Just let me know if you are still interested.

Thank you very much for your interest,

David Jensen"

-----------------------------------------------------------

So the problem with your listing, You say you are in GA but the listing is for Allison Park PA, you then give me a number that is based in Texas, Then you give me a VIN for a truck that is totally different than the one you are ‘selling’.

Oh, And I also Tracked your IP address from the webmail client you used to send this message and reported you to the local authorities. As well as Autotrader.

Best of luck in your future scams.

Doug

Here is the link to the Truck he posted the VIN for,

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... google.com

I probably could have kept him going but he has 12 little Nigerian mouths to feed so I gave him some tips and sent him on his way.

:lol:

Post subject: Re: Fun with an online Scammer...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:33 am 
Site Admin

If I get a response I will post it here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:34 am 
Site Admin

If anyone wants to have fun with him,

patrick.oleary@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:14 am 
Site Admin

Got a reply!

Quote:
the only thing you helped me so far was Chevron Job Offers , the rest you can't comprehend right now , you are on another level. Anyway thanks for tips , I like people like you I am a fan of movies I love movies and Art and once Marlon Brando said , If I weren't an actor I would have become a CON man, I LOVE HIM I LOVE TO CON Good luck

Lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:19 pm 

What an idiot. I hope you really did report him to the local authorities!

Broken English is always a dead giveaway of a scam!