It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC

Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: BAG ON BAR LIFT QUESTION
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:55 pm 

Is there some kinda lift calculator that i've missed or is there not one? Example...I'm planing on running a BOB set up on my cutlass (g-body) using a slam8's. I'm wanting to ge the bag as close the the pivot point as posibble.Now my question is i'm trying to figgure out how mutch lift i would see at the bumper.

Post subject: Re: BAG ON BAR LIFT QUESTION
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

baggedout81 wrote:
Is there some kinda lift calculator that i've missed or is there not one? Example...I'm planing on running a BOB set up on my cutlass (g-body) using a slam8's. I'm wanting to ge the bag as close the the pivot point as posibble.Now my question is i'm trying to figgure out how mutch lift i would see at the bumper.

You did not miss one,

This may sound like a complex thing to calculate but it can be easy.

We will work with a scale model for this.

Go out and measure your car such as lower link length frame length wheel placement the works.

Now do a scale that is easy like 1 foot is 1" on a piece of paper.

Now draw your car body and frame ( with bumper) Now cut out your link bar and at the pivot use a thumb tack.

Most bags on the market have about a max height of lets say 8" on the long side of the bag in an arc so 8" divided by 12" is 66% so 8" is 66% of a foot so for your scale take 66% of 1" and you get about 21/32 of an inch for the bag

NOTE: some things to keep in mind, the closer to the pivot the bag is the more force the bag is going to need to lift the car, also the stronger everything is going to need to be.

For example a bag on the axle lets say needs 1,000 lbs to lift the car that same setup but with the bag at 1/2 the bar length ( middle ) will now need 2,000 to lift the same car. 1/4 the way from the pivot it would need 3,000lbs So keep this in mind as you design.

Please post up any questions you may have, this sounds complex but once you play around with it , it will all make sense :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

To get you started a balpark would be this,

on the axle and 8" bag as 8" lift at the bumper
at ( middle ) or half way up the bar you would get 16" at the bumper
at 1/4 from pivot you would get 24" at the bumper

If your bumper is 4" from the ground when laid out take that + the above number.

Example, 24" + 4" = 28" bumper height.

NOTE: at those kinds of lifts, you will need much longer link bars then stock to prevent the axle from binding.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:18 pm 

Good idea.I'm gonna have to go out in get some meaurments.

Yeah im gonna beef up the mounts on frame/axle side.I had some lower arms made 2x2 1/4 wall w/ a 1 1/8" threaded adjust.The bags gonna have to be off set a bit so reinforcing is a must

I'm kinda from the lowrider side of things.On on these G-bodys (78-88 cutlass,regal etc.)they have a factory 4 link.So im gonna try an keep the factory locations.Gonna run drop mounts on my lowers to try an keep my pinion angle somewhat straight.

Runnin slam 8's so the bigger bag should help w/ the larger volume.An i run my York at 300 psi.So i should have enought pressure to lift

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:22 pm 

Ohh probally gonna run drop mounts on the lowers on the frame side.Might help me get full stroke out of the bag.