Site Admin

[SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Big thanks to Kris over at AVS
I know you are all going to ask,
The price from AVS is as follows,

ARC-7 $120
ARC-9 $160

First the pics,

This box is SOLID!

I am amazed at the quality of this new box. The Billet case is thick and amazingly well machined the fitting is very tight and precise as you can tell in the pics.

They are so many great features,

First I was afraid I was not going to like rocker switches (I have push buttons now) but I was pleasantly surprised by the soft slide off the finger feel to these switches. Very easy to ‘tap’

The internal circuit board gives me piece of mind for I have no fear of something coming loose inside and leaving me stranded.

The wire can only be described as woven fishing line ha-ha it is strong but easy to bend. (Wont kink) and is very abrasion resistant. But the best part is unlike other boxes with the rubber wire sheath this will not grab or stick to itself of you interior as you try to pull it out.

The point where the wire is attached to the box is solid (not easy to pull out at all)

I think the best feature is the end of the box. The nicely pre terminated wire ends are clearly marked to what location they go. as well as a crimped on connector (other end is supplied) this make for a clean simple install But also easy for trouble shooting for example if a valve is acting up you can simply switch wires at the connection to troubleshoot.

The finish on the box is a mirror finish and very smooth.

One final feature is a small little unassuming gray wire what this does is allow you to connect this one wire to your alarm and it will dump all 4 corners down. How cool is that?

Out of all the fantastic features I was unable to find anything about this box I did not like so because of that I give this new Billet 7 switch box by AVS a 10/10 although a key lock would be nice I feel it would detract from the look of the box)

I will post up measurements here shortly.

If you would like to see anything I have missed please let me know.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Post subject: Re: AVS Billit Switch Box Review
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:16 pm 

I love my billet switchbox with rocker switches, but it often causes problems for me. Sometimes when I hit a switch, my valve won't open. I have done a lot of trouble shooting and it all leads back to my switchbox. Sometimes the relay contacts get stuck or something. If I hit the switch several times in a row, it will work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

I think the tiny relays inside build high contact resistance, this in turn heats the relay contacts internal, so when they open they melt slightly into the stopping plate, and this makes them stick when they try to operate.

Odd experiment, install a 300+ Ma Capacitor on your power wire for the SW ( ideal would be the power rail for the relays and see if that helps its operation. This will give a little more oomph for the contact to break free.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:40 am 

Bring a 300+ Ma cap with you to Carlisle, Mr. Electronics, lol.